Operating the Audiovox D1917 DVD Player
Powering the system indoors: Plug one end of the AC to DC adapter into the DC input jack on the left side of the main unit, then plug the other end into a 110~240V AC power receptacle.
Powering the system in a car: Plug one end of the DC power adapter into the DC input jack on the left side of the main unit, then plug the other end into the vehicle power outlet.
Rechargeable Battery Installation and Use: The player utilizes a set of long-life Ni-Mh batteries for a portable power supply. Ni-Mh batteries feature high storage capacity and low level of degradation. Please fully charge the battery prior to first use. Ensure that the battery has been charged for at least eight hours prior to connecting it to the DVD player for the first time. Each full recharge takes approximately five-hours and one full charge can provide power to the player for at least 2 hours. During recharge, the red indicator will stay on. Once fully recharged, the indicated LED on the right side of the unit will turn off. At this point you may remove the wall plug and stop charging.
Precautions related to Battery Recharge:
- Once the battery is fully discharged, immediately recharge (regardless of whether you plan to use battery or not) in order to maximize battery life.
- Please remove battery from the player and store it properly if the player is not to be used for long time. During this period, please recharge the battery at least once two months to avoid irreparable damage to the battery.
Installing the Battery Pack:
- First, make sure the player is in the “Power Off” mode and that the AC power supply has been disconnected.
- Flip down the monitor.
- Push the battery towards the rear of the player until it locks into position. The lock position is indicated by a click. The battery will fit snugly to the player.
Removing the Battery Pack:
- First, make sure the player is in the “Power Off” mode.
- Press the release button on the side of battery.
- Pull the battery from the rear of the player.
Vehicle Installation (D1917PK and D1917ES Only)
Installing the DVD Player onto the seat back in a car:
- Unfold the carry bag, and place the DVD player on the bag beneath the elastic straps. Ensure that the unit’s corners are secured by the elastic straps.
- Secure the upper portion of the carry bag to headrest support bars using the headrest strap. Adjust the headrest strap until the bag is firmly secured.
- Secure the lower portion of the carry bag to the vehicle seat back using the seat back strap. Adjust the seat back strap until the bag is firmly secured.
Installing the Monitor (D1917ES Only):
Option 1 Vehicle Headrest: Slide the Monitor into the pouch and attach the Velcro straps to secure the Monitor in the pouch. Loop the strap of the pouch around the headrest and pull the end of the strap while holding the buckle to secure the pouch to the headrest.
Option 2 Flat Surface: Rotate the base of Monitor backward and place on a flat surface. Adjust the screen for a proper viewing angle. This can be done with the Monitor inside or outside the pouch.
Connecting to a TV or another monitor:
- Set the AV In/Out Switch to the “Out” Position.
- Connect one end of the audio/video cable’s black (1/8” plug) plug into the unit’s DVD AV jack and connect the other end to the AUDIO INPUT jacks on your TV or Monitor using the AV adapter cable (white = left audio channel, red = right audio channel, yellow = video).
Connecting to a Game or Camcorder:
- Set the AV In/Out Switch to the “In” Position.
- Connect one end of the audio/video cable’s black (1/8” plug) plug into the unit’s DVD AV jack and connect the other end to the AUDIO Output jacks on your Camcorder or other DVD using the AV adapter cable (white = left audio channel, red = right audio channel, yellow = video).
- Do not connect an AV signal source with the AV jack when the AV In/Out Switch is set to the “Out” position).
Connecting the Monitor to a Game or Camcorder (D1917ES Only):
- Set POWER ON/OFF to the ON position.
- Using the 1/8 to RCA A/V adapter cable connect the signal output from an auxiliary source such as Camcorder, Video Game, DVD Player, Video Cassette Recorder etc. to the AV IN Jack of the Monitor.
- Use the BRIGHTNESS UP/DOWN control to adjust the picture to the desired setting.
- Use the VOLUME UP/DOWN control to decrease or increase volume level.
Headphones: Optional wired headphones may be used with the unit. Simply plug in the headset to either Headphone 1 jack or Headphone 2 jack on the right side of the DVD. Plugging into Headphone jack 1 disables the internal speakers.
Controls and Indicators
- Battery Release Button
- DC 9V Input Jack
- AV Jack
- AV In/Out Switch
- USB Port
- Power ON/OFF Switch
- SD/MMC/MS Card Slot
- Power LED
- Remote Control Sensor
- Cover Open Switch
- Charge Indicator
- Headphone Jack 1*
- Headphone Jack 2
- Volume Up/Down Control
- Brightness Up/Down Control
- LCD Panel Shut Off Switch
- Wide Button
- Menu Button
- Up/Down/Left/Right/OK Button
* Connecting to headphone jack number 1 will disable the internal speakers.
Monitor View (D1917ES Only):
- Volume Up/Down Control
- Power ON/OFF Switch
- AV IN Jack
- DC 9V Jack
- Headphone Jack (Disables the internal speakers)
- Reverse Switch
- Brightness Up/Down Control
Notes: Slide the Reverse Switch to rotate the picture 180 degrees. To view the monitor rotate the base backward and place it on a flat surface. Adjust the screen for a proper viewing angle. This can be done with the monitor inside or outside the pouch.
- Setup Button
- Up Button
- Previous Button
- Enter Button
- Left/Reverse Button
- Down Button
- Numeric Buttons
- Display Button
- Zoom Button
- DVD/SD-USB Button
- Next Button
- A-B Repeat Button
- Right/Forward Button
- 1/ALL Repeat Button
- Stop Button
- Menu Button
- Subtitle Button
- Audio Button
- Play/Pause Button
Loading and Playing a Disc:
- After connecting power to the unit, turn on the DVD player with the power switch. The power indicator will light.
- Open the disc tray by sliding the OPEN switch to the right. Place a disc into the tray with the label side facing up.
- Close the tray by pressing the area marked “PRESS”. The unit will load the disc and start playing.
- Adjust the BRIGHTNESS and VOLUME to the desired levels.
- To stop playing a disc, press STOP.
Setup: Press ‘SETUP’ to display the Main screen of the SETUP Menu on the screen. Use the Direction and Enter buttons to select desired option and settings. Press ‘SETUP’ again to exit the SETUP Menu and the unit will resume it’s last playback mode.
Menu: play a DVD, a root menu of the disc will appear on the screen of your TV or Monitor. The contents of the menu vary from disc to disc. Press MENU during playback to display the menu. Some DVDs only allow you to select disc playback options using the DVD root menu.
Display: During playback, press Display consecutively to display the different playing time, elapsed time, remaining time information.
Subtitle: During disc playback press ‘SUBTITLE’ to select the subtitle language you desire, with the current Subtitle Language Number and the total Number of Subtitle Languages displayed. If there are multiple languages press ‘SUBTITLE’ again to select another subtitle language. To turn subtitles OFF, press the ‘SUBTITLE’ button until ‘SUBTITLE OFF’ is displayed. The Subtitle display will disappear automatically if the ‘SUBTITLE’ button is not pressed again within 3 seconds. Some DVDs only allow access to this function through the DVD menu.
Audio: During playback press ‘AUDIO’ to select the audio language you desire, with the current Audio Channel Number and the total number of Audio Channels displayed. Press AUDIO again to select another audio language. The audio display will disappear automatically if the ‘AUDIO’ button is not pressed within for 3 seconds. Some DVDs only allow access to this function through the DVD menu.
Zoom: During playback press ‘ZOOM’ consecutively to enlarge the picture by 2x, 3x or 4X with the current zoom multiple. Press “zoom” a 4th time and the picture will return to normal size.
A-B Repeat: During playback press ‘A-B’ to set the Starting Point A. Press ‘A-B’ a second time to set the Ending Point B and the player will repeatedly play the part between Point A and Point B. Press A-B a third time to cancel A-B repeat and resume playback.
Repeat: During playback press ‘REPEAT’ consecutively to change the repeat options.
Other Media Operation
Playing Audio CDs: When playing an audio CD press the DISPLAY button on the remote to view time information.
Using the Repeat Feature: The default mode for the Repeat feature is OFF. Pressing REPEAT consecutively changes the repeat options: Track - repeats the track that is playing, All - repeats the disc that is playing, Repeat Off. As you toggle through the options, the repeat option changes. The selected repeat option loops repeatedly until you turn it off.
Playing MP3 Discs: MP3 is a format for storing digital audio. An audio CD-quality song is compressed into the MP3 format with very little loss of audio quality while taking up much less disc space. CD-R /RW discs that have been encoded in MP3 format are compatible with this system. When an MP3 disc is inserted into the unit, the menu screen appears automatically. You can use the menu screen to select your desired folders and songs or the system plays the songs in the order they were burned onto the disc.
- Press the Up or Down button to choose a folder from the folder list on the left side of the screen.
- Press ENTER to select the highlighted folder. The songs available under the folder will be listed.
- Use the Up or Down button to choose a song from the list. Press ENTER to select and begin playback of the highlighted song.
- Use the NEXT button to move to the next song. Press the PREVIOUS button to move to the beginning of the previous song.
Using the Repeat Feature: The default mode for the Repeat feature is OFF. Pressing REPEAT consecutively changes the repeat options: Repeat One, Repeat Folder, Repeat Off. As you toggle through the options, the repeat option changes. The selected repeat option loops repeatedly until you turn it off.
- Folder icon in front of a file name indicates that this is a folder, not an MP3 file.
- MP3 icon in front of a file name indicates that this is MP3 file.
SD/MMC/MS Card and Thumb Drive/Digital Cameras: With no disc in the unit, insert either an SD/MMC/MS card, Thumb Drive, or digital camera with JPEG or MP3 files into the appropriate input.
- Insert an SD/MMC/MS Card into the SD/MMC/MS Slot on the front of the unit.
- Insert a Thumb Drive into the USB jack on the left side of the unit.
- Connect the USB cable (not supplied) from a camera into the USB port on the left side of the unit.
- Press the DVD/SD-USB button. Choose the folder you desire by using the “UP” and “DOWN” buttons.
Playing JPEG Files:
- Load the JPEG Disc into tray.
- The DVD player will display a folder and the JPEGS contained within the folder in a thumbnail view. Choose the picture you desire by using the “UP” and “DOWN” buttons.
- You can view the JPEG file you selected by pressing “PLAY” or “ENTER” buttons.
- Pressing the “DOWN” button rotates the picture 90 degrees clockwise.
- Pressing the “UP” Key will return to the JPEG menu.
- When previewing the file, pressing “SUBTITLE”, “AUDIO” or “AB”, an icon will appear on the display indicating that these options are not available.