Operating the RCA RC40 Clock Radio
Powering the Clock Radio
Plugging in for power:
AC OUTLET POWER SUPPLY: 120V~60Hz
Battery back-up operation:
- This clock radio is equipped with a memory holding system that can be powered with 2 “AA” batteries (included). The power failure protection circuit will not operate unless battery is installed.
- When normal household power is interrupted, or AC line cord is unplugged, the batteries will power the clock radio to keep track of time and alarm settings programmed into memory.
- When the battery backup functions, the digital display will not light, however, the function of alarm still occurs during the power interruption if remaining battery power is adequate.
- Normal operation will resume after AC power is restored so you will not have to reset the time or the alarm.
To install the battery:
- Remove battery compartment door (located at the bottom of the radio) by applying thumb pressure to the tab on battery door and then lift the door out and off the cabinet.
- Insert 2 AA batteries (included).
- Replace the compartment door.
Auto clock set: You do not have to set the clock time as a built-in automatic time set system is equipped in this clock powered by 2 AA batteries (included and installed).
To set the clock time correctly:
- Plug for power: Insert the plug of the unit into an AC power outlet.
- Select daylight saving: Slide the DST switch at the back of the unit to turn on/off in areas observing/not observing such time change.
- Select your time zone: Press TIME ZONE repeatedly at the back of the unit to cycle through the time zones (EST > CST > MST > PST > AKST > HST > AST > EST...). The default time zone is Eastern (EST).
Setting clock manually:
- Slide the switch Lock/Wake/Clock on the top of the unit to clock position.
- Press REV or FWD to set the clock time. The time decrements or increments will follow by a faster rate when you press and hold the buttons. The “:” between hour and minute time fl ashes when you are setting the time. AM or PM icon will also show beside the time.
- Slide the switch Lock/Wake/Clock on the top of the unit to lock position when finished.
Selecting radio mode: Press RADIO to switch on radio.
Switching band: Slide the BAND switch on the back of the unit to select FM or AM band.
Tuning the radio: Rotate the TUNING knob on the right of the unit to adjust the radio frequency that shows on the large display.
Built-in AFC: The Built In Automatic Frequency Control (AFC) works only on FM. It helps reducing drift on FM reception and keeping the radio locked in on the FM station to which it is tuned. When tuning in FM stations, you may notice that the station you are tuning can be well-tuned on two or three nearby points on the dial. Always tune carefully at the loudest and clearest point.
AM antenna: A built-in ferrite rod antenna eliminates the need for an outside antenna for AM reception. Rotating the unit slightly may improve reception of distant AM stations.
Setting wake time:
- Slide the switch Lock/Wake/Clock on the top of the unit to Wake 1 or Wake 2 position.
- Press << or >> to set the respective wake time. The time decrements or increments will follow by a faster rate when you press and hold the buttons.
- The wake time, corresponding wake timer indicator and AM/PM time indicator flash on the small display.
- Slide the switch Lock/Wake/Clock on the top of the unit to Lock position when finished.
Selecting wake source: You may be woken up by radio or alarm.
- Select an AM or FM station (see directions on "Radio").
- Set a wake time (see above direction).
- Press Wake - Alarm Music OFF 1 or 2 repeatedly on the top of the unit to select a waking mode. Corresponding icon lights on the large display.
- The unit equips with GRAD-U-WAKE feature, the alarm tone volume will increase gradually to its maximum in about 30 to 45 seconds.
Checking wake time:
- Press CHECK WAKE TIME repeatedly to show the currently set wake time 1 and 2.
- The wake time, corresponding wake timer indicator, and AM/PM time indicator show on the small display.
- If corresponding wake function is not activated, OFF shows on the small display.
Turning off the wake alarm or radio:
- To silence the alarm momentarily: To turn off the wake function, press SNOOZE on the top of the unit. The wake alarm or radio will be switched off temporarily. The alarm or radio will be on again when the snooze period (default: 9 minutes) is over. (Read “SmartSnooze™”)
- To turn off the alarm or radio: Press OFF. The wake alarm or radio will activate again the next day unless you switch off the Wake function.
- To disable the wake function completely: Press WAKE – Alarm Music OFF 1 or 2 repeatedly on the top of the unit until no wake mode icon shows on the large display.
SmartSnooze™: This operation allows extra sleep time after the alarm is on. The alarm will be off by pressing SNOOZE, SLEEP or WAKE - Alarm Music OFF 1 or 2 until the snooze period is over. Snooze function can be used repeatedly up to 60 minutes. After this, the wake function will turn off until the next day.
To set the “quiet” period:
- Press and hold SNOOZE.
- Press << or >> to set the quiet period that shows on the large display. The time decrements or increments will follow by a faster rate when you press and hold the buttons. Snooze period can be set from 1 to 30 minutes (default: 9 minutes).
- Release SNOOZE.
Note: SmartSnooze™ is only available when Lock/Wake/Clock is at the Lock position.
In sleep mode, you can set the duration (up to 90 minutes) before the radio turns off automatically.
To set the sleep mode:
- Press SLEEP repeatedly to cycle among the sleep times available (90min, 60min, 30min, 15min and OFF. 90min is the default setting) on the large display.
- The radio will be switched on.
To check the remaining time in sleep mode: Press and hold SLEEP to check the remaining sleep time on the large display.
To cancel the sleep mode: If you decide to turn off the unit sooner, press SNOOZE or OFF.
For more information, please refer to your Owner's Manual.