Setting Up and Installing Your Kit
NOTE: The SIRIUS® signal can be received and processed virtually anywhere as long as there are no obvious satellite signal obstructions such as high terrain, trees, overhangs, etc. However, signal reception depends mainly on where you are, geographically, and where this place is with respect to the orbital paths of the Sirius satellites. In placing the antenna, therefore, these factors must be taken into account.
Battery Installation: Your Boom Box can operate independently of AC power by installing 8 D-Cell batteries as follows:
NOTE: The batteries are bypassed automatically whenever the supplied AC Adapter is plugged into the DC 12V jack on the back panel.
- Turn the Boom Box upside down to access the battery compartment.
- Push the battery cover latches forward and flip up the battery compartment cover to the open position.
- Insert eight (8) D-Cell batteries observing battery polarity as shown; then close the cover.
Cabling Interconnections: You can begin to enjoy Sirius® Satellite Radio as soon as the Receiver and Boom Box Kit installation are complete. Set up your Jensen JSIR900B by following the interconnect diagram.
Installing the Receiver in the JSIR900B: Install the Receiver as follows:
- Press the EJECT button at the top of the JSIR900B to open the spring-loaded cover. Carefully line up the Receiver rear spine grooves with the Boom Box guide spines; lower the Receiver into the Boom Box.
- After making sure the connectors are properly lined up, gently press down on the Receiver to mate the connectors together. The Receiver should now be nestled securely in the Boom Box compartment. Lower the JSIR900B cover into position over the Receiver; This will prevent accidental Receiver disconnect. Apply power to the JSIR900B by pressing the Power ON/OFF button; the LED indicator lights green. If the Receiver does not turn on at the same time, press the red Power On/Off button in the upper left corner of the Receiver front panel.
Removing the Receiver From the JSIR900B: Press the EJECT button on top of the Boom Box to raise the cover. Gently grasp the Receiver from the top and pull straight up to disengage.
Installing/Positioning the Antenna: For best reception, the supplied antenna should be placed near a window if in the house or, if outdoors, in an open area and as high as possible; some repositioning may be required to achieve optimum results. The following guidelines are recommended:
- In a major city, where Sirius ground repeaters are present, you can usually place the antenna away from a window and still achieve the desired results.
- You can also place the antenna outside (on the roof structure), provided it is clear of any overhead obstructions. Because of the orbiting characteristics of the Sirius Satellites, the strength of the received signal may change over time. In most cases however, the signal should be available continuously. If you experience a loss of signal or audio, reposition the antenna inside the home or outside as necessary.
Antenna Placement Considerations: The antenna should be placed on a relatively flat surface whenever possible. When outdoors, the antenna may be left in its mount atop the Boom Box provided no overhead obstructions are present. To mount the antenna:
- Plug the antenna into the ANT connector on the back of the JSIR900B.
- Leave the antenna in place on the Boom Box, or remove the antenna from its mount, uncoil the antenna lead, and place it at the preferred location inside or outside the home. If no audio is heard, move the antenna to different positions on the surface until an audio output is heard. This is the desired antenna position and, if indoors, should be marked.
- After determining the optimum position, turn off JSIR900B and Receiver power. Disconnect the power adapter from the wall outlet receptacle (if indoors) and disconnect the antenna cable.
- Plan the routing of the antenna cable to the JSIR900B ANT input when indoors. Make sure you avoid any obstructions that could crimp, kink or twist the cable; use protective grommets wherever rough openings are encountered. If the antenna is mounted outside, route the cable from the antenna position to the interior of the home, working the cable through the basement, under a window sill, etc.; make adjustments and take up slack whenever necessary.
- If outdoors, either leave the antenna in place atop the JSIR900B, or remove the antenna and find a location free from overhead obstructions such as tree branches, or the roof of a tent or other temporary shelter.
- Plug the antenna cable into the ANT connector on the back of the JSIR900B.
- If not using battery power as the primary power source, plug the female end of the DC adapter cable into the DC 12V receptacle on the rear of the JSIR900B.
- Plug the other end of the DC adapter cable into a 110-volt receptacle. Apply power to the Boom Box and Receiver.
- You are now ready to enjoy Sirius programming outdoors or within your home.