Operating the RCA RP5620 Clock Radio
Powering the Clock Radio
Plugging in for power:
AC OUTLET POWER SUPPLY: 120V~60Hz
Battery back-up operation:
- This clock radio is equipped with a memory holding system that can be powered with 2 “AA” batteries (included and installed).
- The power failure protection circuit will not operate unless battery is installed.
- When normal household power is interrupted, or AC line cord is unplugged, the batteries will power the clock radio to keep track of time and alarm settings programmed into memory.
- When the battery backup functions, the digital display will not light, however, the function of alarm still occurs during the power interruption if remaining battery power is adequate.
- Normal operation will resume after AC power is restored so you will not have to reset the time or the alarm.
To install the battery:
- Remove battery compartment door (located at the bottom of the radio) by applying thumb pressure to the tab on battery door and then lift the door out and off the cabinet.
- Replace 2 AA batteries.
- Replace the compartment door.
Before You Plug for Power:
- Setting Time Zone: You may slide the time zone selector at the bottom of the unit to 1) Eastern, 2) Central, 3) Mountain or 4) Pacific.
- Day Light Saving: You can press and hold the day light saving button at the bottom of the unit to turn on/off in areas observing/not observing such time change.
WARNING: Please avoid playing with these buttons after entering the Clock/Alarm set mode.
Auto Clock Set: You do not have to set the clock time as a built-in automatic time set system is equipped in this clock powered by 3V (2 X AA batteries (included). All you have to do is to plug this clock for power and current time will be shown automatically. However, the batteries can also be exhausted and we recommend that you replace the batteries every 2-3 years.
Setting Clock: This unit has a built-in automatic time set system that automatically generates the correct clock time once the unit is plugged in. You are not required to set the clock manually, however, in case the memory holding batteries are accidentally removed, you may set the clock manually with following procedures:
- Be sure Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time is adjusted before operating the clock.
- Rotate the SELECTION KNOB to the CLOCK position, the clock setting icon is displayed.
- Press REV or FWD to set the time. Press and hold the respective buttons to fast reverse or fast forward clock time.
- Rotate the SELECTION KNOB to the LOCK position to save the clock time.
Selecting between Analogue and Digital Clock Display: Press DISPLAY to select between analog and digital clock display. On analogue clock, you can turn on or off the second arm by the second arm switch at the bottom.
Display Brightness: Clock time and radio frequency are display on the display area at the front of the unit. You can adjust the brightness of the display by sliding BRIGHTNESS/LO••HI at the back of the unit.
- Rotate the SELECTION KNOB to the COLOR SELECT position.
- Press REV or FWD to select the display color.
Radio and CD Player
Switching On Radio: Press RADIO ON at the front of the unit.
Switching Band: Slide the BAND switch on the side of the unit to select FM or AM band.
Tuning the Radio: Turn the TUNING knob on the left of the unit to adjust radio frequency.
FM Antenna: The FM antenna cord is attached at the back of the unit. We recommend the cord be fully extended for best FM reception.
Built-In AFC: The Built In Automatic Frequency Control (AFC) works only on FM. It helps reducing drift on FM reception and keeping the radio locked in on the FM station to which it is tuned. When tuning in FM stations, you may notice that the station you are tuning can be well-tuned on two or three nearby points on the dial. Always tune carefully at the loudest and clearest point.
AM Antenna: A built-in ferrite rod antenna eliminates the need for an outside antenna for AM reception. Rotating the unit slightly may improve reception of distant AM stations.
Listening to Compact Disc:
- Open the CD compartment.
- Insert a disc and close the CD compartment door.
- Press Play/Pause.
- Press Back or Next to skip backward or forward the CD track.
- Press and hold Back or Next to search backward or forward within the CD track.
- Press Stop to stop CD playback.
Selecting CD Play Mode:
- Start CD playback.
- Press CD MODE repeatedly to select a playback mode. Corresponding icon shows on the display.
Listening to Auxiliary Source:
- Connect auxiliary input source (e.g. mp3 player) with an audible cable (not included) to the AUDIO IN jack of the unit.
- Press AUDIO IN to select auxiliary input mode with AUX shows on the display.
- Adjust volume by rotating + VOLUME -, control other playback operations on the auxiliary unit.
Setting Wake Time:
- Rotate the SELECTION KNOB to the WAKE TIME 1 or WAKE TIME 2 position until WAKE 1 or WAKE 2 icon shows on the display.
- Press REV or FWD to set the wake time. The time decrements or increments will follow by a faster rate when you press and hold either REV or FWD.
- Rotate the SELECTION KNOB to the LOCK position to save the wake time setting.
Selecting Wake Mode: To change to another wake mode (e.g. from CD to radio):
- Rotate the SELECTION KNOB to the WAKE MODE 1 or WAKE MODE 2 position.
- Press REV or FWD to scroll through wake options.
Waking to Alarm or Tone: When waking to alarm tone is selected, the Alarm icon will light. You cannot adjust the alarm tone with volume.
- When the AC power is disconnected, the unit will enter DC backup mode, all wake mode will be reverted to alarm tone.
- The unit equips with GRAD-U-WAKE feature, the alarm tone volume will increase gradually to its maximum in about 30 to 45 seconds.
Waking to CD or Radio:
- Set the wake time.
- Rotate the SELECTION KNOB to the WAKE MODE 1 or WAKE MODE 2 position, press REV or FWD to select waking up by CD or by RADIO with corresponding icons light accordingly.
For Waking to CD:
- Press to turn on the CD.
- While pressing WAKE UP CD TRACK, press REV or FWD to select your desired CD wake up track.
- Release WAKE UP CD TRACK, and the CD wake up track is set. To reset the CD wake up track, follow the above procedures.
- Rotate VOLUME to adjust to your desired wake up volume.
- Press OFF to stop the CD playback.
- If the CD compartment is empty, the alarm tone will sound instead even if the WAKE TO CD mode is selected.
For Waking to Radio:
- Press RADIO ON to turn on the radio.
- Rotate TUNING to select a waking up radio station.
- Rotate VOLUME to adjust to your desired wake up volume.
- Press OFF to turn off the radio.
Tip: If you set the Wake function with low volume level before going to bed, we advise using Waking to Alarm Tone mode to wake you up since the volume will automatically increase.
SmartSnooze™ Operation: This operation allows extra sleep time after the wake function is on. The alarm will be off by pressing SNOOZE, NAP, Z's, REV or FWD until the snooze period is over. Snooze function can be used repeatedly up to 30 minutes (default: 9 minutes). After this, the wake function will turn off until the next day.
Set the “quiet” period as follows:
- Press and hold SNOOZE.
- Press REV or FWD to set the quiet period. The time decrements or increments will follow by a faster rate when you press and hold the buttons.
- SmartSnooze™ is only available when the SELECTION KNOB is at the LOCK position.
Switching Off Wake Function:
- Silence the wake function momentarily: Press SNOOZE. The alarm will sound again when the snooze period is over. (see “SmartSnooze™ Operation” section).
- Stop the wake function: Press OFF and the alarm will be on again the following day at the same time.
- Disable the wake function permanently: Rotate the SELECTION KNOB to the WAKE MODE 1 or WAKE MODE 2 position. Press REV or FWD until all wake indicator disappear.
For catnaps up to 2 hours without disturbing the regular alarm settings, the NAP function wakes you up after a short period of time. Simply:
- Press NAP, the NAP indicator will flash. While the NAP indicator is flashing, press REV or FWD to adjust nap time. The time range is from 10 minutes to 2 hours at 10 minutes interval (default is 20 minutes).
- Wait 3 seconds or press NAP again to confirm, the NAP indicator will show on the display.
- Press NAP once to show time left, after 3 seconds, the display will return to clock time. Only alarm tone can be selected in NAP mode.
Stopping/Canceling NAP Alarm:
- When the NAP alarm sounds, you can press OFF to stop it.
- Press and hold NAP for 3-5 seconds to cancel the NAP setting.
In sleep mode, the radio and CD will turn off automatically. To set the sleep time, simply:
- Press Z's, then the time display will exhibit 0:59 and the radio will turn on (default). While holding Z's, press Rev or FWD to set the sleep time. The time range is from 1 minute to 2 hours (default is 0:59).
- Release Z's and the current time will be shown again, Z's will show on the display, and the sleep time is set.
- Press SLEEP in sleep mode to read the remaining sleep time.
Sleep to Radio: Under sleep mode, press RADIO ON to turn on the radio and select the radio station as usual. Once the sleep time is reached, the radio will turn off.
Sleep to CD: Under sleep mode, press Play/Pause to start CD playback. CD play mode will be automatically in Repeat All mode when using Sleep to CD setting. The unit will turn off automatically once the sleep time is reached.
- The unit will enter either CD or Radio mode after SLEEP is pressed, depending on the previous sleep setting.
- If you decide to turn off the unit sooner, press SNOOZE or OFF.
- When the sleep mode is activated again, the sleep time will be the same as the one you have set before