The CRK76 universal remote can be programmed to control most brands of remote controllable TVs, VCRs, satellite receivers, DVD players, audio receivers, and cable boxes. The remote is already programmed to control most RCA, PROSCAN, and GE components.
Also, the AUX button can be programmed to control most brands of an additional remote-controllable component.
The following programming instructions are for all models of the CRK76 remote control. Keep in mind that your model of CRK76 may have different component buttons than other CRK76 models. In addition, a component button may be labeled slightly different than explained here. (For example, VCR and VCR1, or SAT-CABLE and DIRECTV).
Important: The remote may not be compatible with all brands and models of components. It also may not operate all functions of the remote that came with your component.
Test the Remote
To determine whether the universal remote needs to be programmed for your component, turn the component ON. For example, to program the remote for a VCR, turn on the VCR. Point the remote at the VCR, and press the VCR1 button. Then press ON•OFF or CH + (channel up) or CH –(channel down) to see if the VCR responds to the remote commands. If the component does not respond, the remote needs to be programmed.
Program the Remote
There are two ways to program the remote control:
- automatic code search
- direct entry
Automatic Code Search:
The following instructions can be used to program the remote to operate each of your components. If you want to exit the automatic code search without programming any of your components, press CLEAR until the indicator on the remote turns off.
Note: The AUX button can't be programmed using automatic code search. It must be programmed using the direct-entry method.
- Turn on the component you want to operate (VCR, TV, etc.)
- Press and hold the component button you want to program (VCR1, VCR2, etc.). While holding the component button, press and hold ON•OFF until the indicator on the remote turns on, then release both buttons.
- Point the remote at the component. Press and release PLAY, then wait 5 seconds or until the indicator on the remote stops flashing. At this point the remote is searching for the correct code to program. If, after 5 seconds, the component you want to operate does not turn off, press PLAY again to tell the remote to search the next set of codes. Continue pressing PLAY until the component turns off or you have searched through all of the codes. There are 20 total sets of codes. If the component does not turn off after pressing PLAY 20 times, then the remote cannot can't be programmed to operate that component.
If the component you want to control does turn off:
- Press and release REVERSE, then wait 2 seconds. Repeat this step until the device turns back ON.
- To finish, press and hold STOP until the indicator on the remote turns off.
- Turn on the component to be programmed.
- Look up the brand and code number(s) for the component on the code list in this section.
- Point the remote at the component.
- Press and hold the component button you want to program on the remote.
- Enter the 4-digit code from the remote control code list on the following pages. If the indicator flashes, you have either entered an invalid code or the button isn't programmable. For example, if your remote came with your DVD player, you cannot program the DVD button to control another DVD player.
- Release the component button, and then press ON•OFF to see if the component responds to the command. If it doesn't, try pressing the component button and then ON•OFF again. If you get no response, repeat these steps using the next code listed for your brand, until the component responds to the remote commands. If you try all the codes for your component brand and none work, try the automatic code search method. If automatic code search doesn't find the code, the remote is not compatible with your component.
Important: You must continue pressing the component button while you enter the code. Let’s say you have a Zenith TV. To program the universal remote to operate the TV you would: Press and hold the TV button while you enter the first code listed for Zenith in the TV Codes column. Release the TV button. Press ON•OFF to see if the TV responds. If it doesn't, follow the same steps, but enter the second code for Zenith TVs instead of the first.