Using your Camcorder
- Press ON/OFF to turn on.
- Press and hold ON/OFF to turn off.
Note: Camcorder will automatically turn off after 2 minutes if not in use.
Record: Press and release the red RECORD button (after “READY” appears on the screen) to begin recording.
- A red “•” and the elapsed time will appear at the top left corner of the screen.
- The red recording light on the camcorder front will turn on.
Pausing a recording:
- Press PLAY/PAUSE.
- A “II” pause indicator will replace the red
- at the top left corner and “Recording Paused” will flash in the middle of the screen.
- To resume recording, press and release PLAY/PAUSE again.
Stop: While playing or recording, press and release the red RECORD button to stop the playing or recording.
- Press PLAY/PAUSE to start playback of the most recent recording or the selected video. To select another video, refer to section on Selecting videos.
- Press and hold PLAY/PAUSE for three seconds to play all videos.
Note: If no video is selected after playback has finished, recording mode will resume after 5 seconds.
- Hold down > to fast forward the selected video during playback.
- Hold down < to fast rewind the selected video during playback.
Pausing video playback:
- Press PLAY/PAUSE to pause playback (a “II” pause indicator and the remaining playback time will flash at the top left corner of the screen).
- Press PLAY/PAUSE again to resume playback.
- Press and release > to cue the next video.
- Press and release < to cue the previous video.
- Press DELETE and the last recording will appear on the screen. “DELETE VIDEO ?” will appear on the screen. To select another video, refer to section on Selecting videos.
- Press and hold DELETE until the selected video is deleted.
- To delete all videos, press & hold DELETE for 3 seconds and then repeat step 2.
Before or during recording:
- Press + to zoom in.
- Press – to zoom out. Volume.
- Press + to increase volume.
- Press – to decrease volume.
Video quality selector:
- HQ: High Quality mode
- LP: Long Play mode
In order to switch between the two modes slide the switch on the side of the unit to either HQ or LP mode.
HQ, or High Quality Mode, produces the best possible video resolution, giving you 30 minutes of recording time. This higher resolution is recommended for videos that may be archived to DVD or viewed on a TV connected to the camcorder’s output.
LP, or Long Play Mode, produces a alternative video resolution, offering 60 minutes of recording time. This resolution is recommended for longer recording sessions or videos that will be shared over the Internet.
- The selected setting (HQ or LP) will appear on the display screen during recording.
- The HQ setting is recommended when planning to view video on a TV directly from the camcorder.
AV output: Audio/Video output for connecting to TV or other AV equipment with the included AV cable. Refer to Viewing videos on TV and Recording videos to VHS tape or DVD below for more information.
USB Connector ARM:
Note: Use USB Extension Cable (provided) if USB Connector ARM is obstructed or space does not permit connection to PC.
- Push the button and slide out to extend the USB Connector ARM.
- Push the button and slide in to retract it.
SD/MMC card slot:
The EZ201 Small Wonder supports most SD cards up to 2 GB in size but it's not compatible with SDHC cards (or cards greater than 2 GB in size).
- You may use SD/MMC card to copy videos from the internal memory or to extend the internal memory of the camcorder. 1) To copy videos from the internal memory: insert an SD/MMC card while the camcorder is turned ON. Press + to start copying. 2) To extend the internal memory: insert an SD/MMC card before turning on the camcorder. Videos will begin recording automatically to the SD/MMC card when the internal memory is full.
- The SD/MMC card and the internal memory of the camcorder are recognized as two separate memory devices when connected to a PC. Refer to “Connecting to a PC” overleaf for details on accessing the saved videos on either the SD/MMC card or the internal memory.
- Removal of the SD/MMC card should only be performed while the camcorder is turned off.
If your 2 GB or smaller SD card doesn't work with the Small Wonder, please verify that it has been formatted as FAT16 or FAT32 by performing the following steps:
- Insert the SD Card into the Small Wonder
- Connect the Small Wonder to your computer via a USB port
- Once the Small Wonder is connected, press and briefly hold the red record button on the Small Wonder. Your Small Wonder is now acting as a memory card reader
- Left-click on the Start Menu
- From the Start Menu, left-click My Computer (or simply Computer in Windows VistaTM )
- Locate the Small Wonder drive letter
- Right-click the Small Wonder drive letter (Windows OSTM) and left-click Properties to verify that the file system attribute reads FAT or FAT32. If the file system attribute of your 2 GB or smaller SD card does not read FAT or FAT32, you may try to format the card on the Small Wonder. Please note that as with any digital content, we recommend backing up any existing data on your card before formatting it.
To format the SD card within Microsoft WindowsTM, perform the following steps:
- Right-click on the Small Wonder drive letter, a popup menu will appear
- From the popup menu, left-click Format. Note: Performing a format WILL erase everything on the device, therefore please proceed with caution!
- Verify that FAT or FAT32 is selected under the File system combo box
- Left-click the Start button at the bottom of the Format Disk window (not the Start Menu button).
- Left-click OK on the following two prompts (one to verify you are sure you wish to format, one to notify you of completion).
- Close the Format Disk window once you are finished
Note: Due to the many configuration possibilities in Microsoft WindowsTM, My Computer may or may not be accessible via the desktop or start menu. If you experience troubles, try right-clicking the Start Menu and then left-clicking Explore. You can access My Computer from there by scrolling to the top of the list that appears on the left side of the screen and left-clicking on it.
Viewing videos on TV:
- Plug in the AV cable (provided) – Insert the single connector end into the camcorder (AV jack) and connect the triple connector ends to the corresponding video (yellow) and audio (white and red) input jacks on the TV.
- Turn on the TV and the camcorder.
- Switch the TV to the selected video input (refer to your TV manual for instructions).
- You may play and delete videos viewed on the TV by using the camcorder buttons.
Recording videos to VHS tape or DVD:
- Plug in the AV cable (provided) – Insert the single connector end into the camcorder and connect the triple connector ends to corresponding video (yellow) and audio (white and red) inputs of the recording device (VHS or DVD recorder).
- Turn on the camcorder and the recording device.
- Switch recording device to the video input connected to the camcorder. (Refer to your user manual of the recording device for instructions).
- Start recording of your recording device and press and hold PLAY/PAUSE on the camcorder for 3 seconds to play all videos on the camcorder.
Archiving Videos with EZ201 onto a CD-ROM or DVD:
Note: Currently, to archive you must have access to a PC containing a CD-ROM/DVD recorder as well as compatible recording software. Windows XPTM has built in software for burning to CD-ROM and Windows VistaTM has built in software for burning to both CD-ROM and DVD.
To archive your videos as described above, please perform the following steps:
- Save the videos you wish to include on the disc from your camcorder to your PC.
- Launch your CD-ROM/DVD recording software
- Locate the video files you wish to use by accessing My Computer/My Videos/RCA Small Wonder, or any other location you saved your RCA Small Wonder Videos
- Drag and drop the desired files to your CD-ROM/DVD recording software
- Follow the instructions within your CD-ROM/DVD recording software to burn the files to disc
For more information on this topic, please see your CD-ROM/DVD recording software help files.