Look for a location that will give you the best view behind the vehicle. This should not be directly next to or under a reverse/backup lamp as it may blind the camera at night. Avoid license plate lamps as well as they too can blind the camera at night. Before drilling determine the best way to run the power wires to the reverse lights & the extension cable through the car. Insure that your route will not interfere with any safety equipment, trunk release or other items on the vehicle. Once your location has been confirmed AGAIN DOUBLE CHECK BEFORE YOU DRILL! Look for wires sensors, double metal, anything that could cause a problem or damage. The camera should lay flat against the mounting surface for proper installation and weather proofing.
- After selecting a mounting surface, either remove the panel if possible or tape off the area to be drilled with masking tape in order to protect the surroundings.
- For the ACA400 camera, we include a 22mm hole saw, Use this drill bit to drill through your mounting surface for the camera. Make sure that there is not a metal lip or double metal in this area as it could damage the hole saw blade.
- After drilling carefully remove any burs or sharp edges so you don't damage the cable when pulling it through. Coat the edge of the hole with a rust preventative. On the ACA400 remove the backing on the double sided tape on the top of the camera base before inserting into the mounting location.
- Carefully route the camera cable connector through the hole and insert the camera into the hole.
- Use the included hardware to secure the camera in place. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN the hardware.
- Wire the camera's power wire to the vehicle's reverse lamp: a) Locate the reverse lamp in the tail light assembly; b) Using a crimp connector or by soldering attach the red wire to the positive 12 volt wire from the reverse lamp. This should only have power when the car is in reverse gear and the white lamp illuminated. Attach the black wire to the Ground (Negative 12 Volts only). c) If a trigger wire is required at the front of the vehicle or you wish to power your camera from the front of the vehicle use the add'l red wire on the video extension cable.
Note: Do not connect to the reverse lamp and to power at the front of the vehicle. This will cause the reverse lamp to turn on any time you power the camera.
- Run the extension cable to the location of the monitor and connect the other end of the extension cable to the camera. Yellow RCA connected to the Video input.