Installing the Audiovox OE Integration Silverline DUO A-DUO-100-BMW Kit
Attention installer! Please read the following!
Audiovox strongly recommends that the unit be installed in an easily accessible place!
DO NOT PLACE IT BEHIND THE RADIO AND DO NOT HIDE UNDER CARPET!
Whether the unit is professionally or self installed, put the module where you, the end user can get to it easily in the future. (Have the installer show you where the interface module is installed.) Installing the module behind the radio will make it difficult to:
- Add possible future upgrades, changing software, adding new features, improving operation;
- Access the AUX input on the module to attach any audio device;
- Access the DIP switches located on the module;
- Remove the unit in case of failure.
MAKE SURE THAT THE MODULE IS IN AN ACCESSIBLE PLACE!
Some radios will enter an anti-theft security mode and will lock requiring the radio’s security code to be entered to unlock it. This code can be requested from the vehicle’s dealership.
Connection Diagram for DSP Option
BMW vehicles with Digital Signal Processing (DSP) must use the DSP Kit (PN: A-ACC-BMW-DSP). To confirm if the vehicle has DSP, check for a bare metal coax cable and a 3-pin connector (for connector locations see page 13). DSP was only an option on some BMW 5-Series, 7-Series, X5, Z4 and X3 vehicles.
Factory Pre-Wired CD Changer Cable Locations:
Note: Installation should only be performed by a qualified professional. Beware of sharp edges to avoid injury and exercise caution when removing trim pieces as they may break. The module should be placed in an accessible location, such as the glove box, consoles, under the front seats or in some cases in the trunk to allow iPod/SIRIUS/AUX cables to be connected. The module firmware may need to be updated periodically and must be removed from the vehicle and connected to a computer to apply the update.
- Disconnect both battery terminals. These cables must be disconnected during installation to ensure proper initialization of the module when it is connected. This step is REQUIRED for proper operation of the module!
- Access the CD changer cable. The location of this cable varies by BMW model (for connector locations see page 13).
- If the vehicle you are performing the installation on has DSP, refer to page 12 and then proceed to step 5. Locate both the 3-pin & 6-pin connectors. If the vehicle has a factory CD changer installed, the 3-pin & 6-pin cables will be connected to it and will need to be disconnected. If there is not a CD changer installed the cables will be bundled and may be tucked away behind carpeting.
- Connect both 3-pin and 6-pin cables to the BMW Interface Harness. ATTENTION! There are two 3-pin connectors presented in the vehicle. During installation, make sure that the 3-pin connector from the vehicle DOES NOT have a brown wire in the middle! The 3-pin connector of the phone pre-wiring looks identical to the 3-pin connector of the CD changer pre-wiring. Locate and use the correct 3-pin cable with the brown wire on the outside! Incorrect connection will result in permanent damage to the unit and will not be covered by warranty!
- Route the interface cable to the front of the vehicle. Fold down rear seats (if applicable) and route the extension cable through the rear seat bottom cushion. Route the remainder of the interface cable (i.e.. under the door sill or under the driver’s seat) to a location where the module can be easily accessed in the future.
- Make sure you have set the DIP switches on the DUO as specified on page 8.
- Connect the BMW interface cable, iPod Dock Cable and SIRIUS Connections (if applicable) to the DUO module and double-check all connections. See page 11 (and page 12 if the vehicle has DSP) for the connection diagram.
- Test the installation.
- Replace any trim, carpeting or panels that were removed during installation.
Note: Some vehicles will have the CD changer wiring in a protective sheath which may make it more difficult to locate. Non-US models may not be pre-wired for a CD changer, and require an additional harness from BMW to be connected.