To manually update the firmware on your S2102, SC2102 MP3 player, you will need to:
- Click Here to be redirected to the RCA Downloads Page.
- Click on the Firmware Updates/Restore Utility link to start the download.
- Select "Save" and select the appropriate folder to save the installer.
- Hold play/pause button for 15 seconds.
- Hold menu button for 10 seconds.
- Connect the player to your computer via USB cable while holding play/pause button.
- Run the downloaded installer and follow the instructions to complete the installation. This should start the firmware upgrade. If you receive an error message of “can't write to disk”, the firmware upgrade will end. Do not close out the firmware upgrade. Follow the steps below if this occurs:
1. Go to My Computer and find the drive that holds the MP3 player.
2. Right click scroll down to format, format the player.
3. Run firmware upgrade again.
If your computer does not recognize the MP3 player:
- Make sure your computer's operating system is up to date with the latest Service Packs and patches.
- Plug the player into a different USB port. Avoid the use of USB hubs if possible. Avoid Laptop docking cradles if possible.
- Reboot the PC.
- Connect the player to the PC while holding the play/pause button.
These steps should allow the player to be read by the USB port correctly and will show the player in "My Computer" as a new drive letter.