Each year, an increasing number of CD/DVD units are misdiagnosed for problems related to skipping or the inability to read a CD/DVD when the actual problem is nothing more than a dirty laser lens.
RCA has developed a special lens cleaner CD for RCA units. RCA units require focus lock prior to spinning the disk. A dirty lens cannot achieve focus lock, and the disc will not spin. This prevents conventional lens cleaners from cleaning the lens since they rely on a spinning disc to work. The RCA lens cleaner CD can be used on any standard CD or DVD player.
The RCA lens cleaner disc uses two positions. Position 1 cleans the lens while the disc is being inserted, and position 2 is used for cleaning the lens once the lens is clean enough to achieve focus lock.
- Open the CD/DVD player tray.
- Insert the disc, placing the 1 arrow pointing towards the player, and then close the tray drawer or cover of the player.
- Once the disc achieves focus lock, open the CD/DVD tray, and remove the disc.
Due to tight packaging, the Fiber Cleaning Pad may become compressed. Before continuing with Step 4, raise the nap up using a stiff brush or your finger.
- Re-insert the disc with the 2 arrows pointing towards the player, and then close the tray drawer or cover of the player.
The unit should now spin the disc. Allow the cleaning to continue for about 10 seconds. More than one insertion may be required to clean the lens.
- Remove the disc, and close the tray drawer or cover of the player.
If the unit was used in a smoky environment, the dry brush may not be able to clean it. If you suspect that the lens is still contaminated after the initial cleaning, apply a mild solvent such as rubbing alcohol to the pad on the disc, and repeat Step 4.